Saturday, August 01, 2009

Memories Pt. 19

fall or winter, after volleyball

We were at a pub with friends, having our post game drink and some food. The bill came and I smiled at you.

I love the mints here. They are giant lifesavers and are my favourite, I whispered to you.

I tried to grab them all, but backed down after the feigned look you gave me and let you have one.

Making our way to the car, I demolished six to eight of those tasty little things.

'Don't crunch them', you said. 'They'll last longer'

I can't help it, I muttered back.

You seemed to savour yours and even hid a couple in your purse.

Much much later, coming back from shopping you got giddy.

'I got a treat for you!', you could barely contain yourself, pulling out a giant bag of the giant lifesavers.

I was floored and ate a bunch, but you hid them in the candy drawer so I couldn't get all of them.

As time passed, like some sort of angel, you would hand me a candy when I least expected it. When I was driving you'd go into you purse and hand me one. After coffee, a jaunty 'would you like mint?' and one would appear. Sitting in a cinema waiting for the picture to start, you'd open your closed hand to reveal two or three sitting there glowing in the light from your smile.

You seemed to have them hidden in every purse, waiting. Waiting for a time you knew you could brighten my day.

But, you see, just having you there did that anyway.

No comments: