Sunday, August 02, 2009

Memories Pt. 21

summer, in the County. the first time.

The first time I actually got to go to the County it was raining, hard. I did most of the driving, and I am sure you were very confused by us making it there alive as you couldn't see anything for the entire trip. It was dark and the rain was coming down in sheets, but by the time we made it it had eased off.

We arrived at the trailer at night and I couldn't see anything or even get my bearings. We unpacked quickly, you turning on the water and power and me just firing things in from the car. Completed, we made our beds and soon were off to sleep.

The following day, it still rained, so we explored. We drove all over the County, visiting different places, following all the tourist signs. At Long Dog, we were turned off by the owner's pretentiousness and didn't even stay for a sample. You showed me the cheesemaker. Then we got lost down a country road, but eventually saw the sign for the cider maker.

Off we went to Waupoos to find us some cider. I don't think you had come down this road before. Passing orchard after vineyard and signs advertising a pancake breakfast we drove up the hill and finally found the old stone building of the cidery.

They treated us like gold, giving us free samples, talking up their different blends and brews. Admiring the best view of the county, we bought a bunch of bottles and wished them well, hoping to come back and try their cafe sometime.

And we came back, almost every time we went to the County.

It became our place, our little find that no one else had discovered.

Last night, in Toronto, I had a glass of Waupoos cider. Staring at the coaster as the bartender poured my drink, I couldn't help but think of you, of our life and our place so far from here and now.

And I missed you.

No comments: