Saturday, August 08, 2009

Memories Pt. 24

birthdays, past

I am not very easy to give gifts to. I tend to get anything I want for myself and rarely, it turns out, I give hints enough for you to figure out what I want.

You struggled with a number of birthdays and Christmas'. You were so stressed out it was painful to watch. You wanted to make everything perfect, but it wasn't necessary. I was so happy with everything you did.

You were so successful so many times. You gave me a photo I coveted months earlier and forgot about. I love that photo. It makes my heart hurt everytime I pass it

You also gave me lots of hot sauces. Something I love and love to share with you. You always bought them from the same shop on the Danforth. Different flavours and types. You sampled and chose well. I loved them all.

Tonight, running from the rain I ducked into a porch for shelter. Looking into the windows to pass the time I realized this was the shop.

You see, I had never been. You went there so many times for me. To provide for me; to make me happy. You always told me I would love it and we should go together, but we never did.

Staring into the darkened displays, wet and cold, waiting for the rain to abate, I wished you were with me, standing by my side, smiling. You see, in my mind we were about to go in, to sample their wares. You were excited, as you always get when you are about to show me something new.

In my mind, you just wanted to make me happy, just like oh so many times before.

No comments: