Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Memories Pt. 35

early on, leaving a bar.

We spent the evening together. Talking and sharing, getting to know one another. Time passed and it got dark. Probably faster than either of us realized. A chill came into the air like the season changed. We were both surprised.

I gave you my zip up hoody. You were cold and I was in love, what else would I do. It looked so big on you, on your small frame, like you were a child playing dress up. But it made you warm and smile.

You left me to ride. Of course you can borrow it. No, I'll be fine.

A few days later, you handed it back, apologizing for not washing it. It's ok.

Putting it on, a little while later, I was bombarded by a sense of you. You perfume and smell clung to the collar. I had you near even when you weren't. Each movement, each shift brought you to me and I smiled.

It smells like you, I told you.

You smiled.

I didn't wash that shirt for as long as I could. When I did, the smell was gone and it hurt a little.

Now that you are gone, it is missing from my life.

That wonderful smell.

Focusing hard enough I can bring it back to me. It is long gone from the house, but memory can bring it back. In my mind, with some thought, it is there.

It reminds me of happiness and love, of summer and hugs, of soft caresses and nights lying next to you.

I miss the nearness of you. Of all those little things that my other senses knew so well.

I wish it were here, your smell, as if it never left.

No comments: