Sunday, July 26, 2009

Plans Pt. 3

summers, the County.

We drive a lot in the county. Going for cider and cheese or visiting town or friends.

You are the better driver, but I own the car, so...

I always thought I would win the lottery. I don't buy tickets very often, but I thought I would win, it would just take a little time. It didn't matter that the odds were stacked against me. I was going to win eventually. It had to happen because it would make our lives easier. Driving in the car through the county, I had lots of time to think about how to spend the money.

There is a house, off set from the road, in Cherry Valley. It was obviously built new on a huge piece of land overlooking East Lake. Everytime I drove past I knew I had to buy that house for you. If I couldn't buy it I would rebuild somewhere earby.

Your family has summered in the County for so long. You love it and you made me love it. I knew I had to buy property for you there, either from Chuck Slik or another agent, but I had to get that for you.

So, as we drove, I was plotting where I would put our house if I couldn't buy the one I liked. The next best location was on the river from Milford. The north side seemed pretty sparse, only farms and I thought I could cajole a farmer to give use some river front property.

If not, the south side had some places that I thought I could get.

I planned the house in my head. Knowing only the outside, I planned an open concept with lots of windows, a covered patio all around, sunroom on the back facing the water and a dock and boat launch for the grandfathers and kids. It would have a garage and a guest house off to the side. Yes, a guest house! As I knew we would entertain. Visions of my folks coming up in winter to see us and our kids during the holidays. A guest house with a couple of suites so that we would always have room. Your sisters or brother would have a place to stay. Or a nice home for your Dad and Ann when they weren't away on one of their trips. Close to his friends, but private enough.

Brick, it would all be made out of brick, looking like all the old farm houses we saw when we drove.

I was hoping to have it built without you knowing. I wanted to surprise you. I even had visions of the phone calls I would have to make and not let you hear.

All of this while I was driving.

No comments: