Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Memories Pt. 9

Spring, high park.

The first night.

I had been lonely for a long time, but I had only recently been ready to not be alone.

We had met online and chatted for a month before we got the courage and skill to meet.

You suggested frisbee in the park, I agreed, plotting more in the back of my head. This girl was special and I was ready to treat her as such.

We met outside the subway station, you holding your yellow beast and glowing, me holding my knapsack being shy, stooping a little and trying not to stare at my shoes.

Later you would say that when you saw my all stars your heart did a little flutter. 'This boy is cute'

We wandered into the park, finding our spot, which we returned to many times later to throw the frisbee around. I hadn't in years, but we were both very forgiving.

We meandered and talked, trying to feel each other out. Down we went past the zoo and the jungle gym into the big field below.

This is a pretty good spot, I think I said.

'For what?'

I came prepared. Opening my bag, pulling out quilt and cups, olives and wine and a bunch of cheese.

Picnic, I said.

We lay in that park, drinking our wine, eating our cheese for hours, until the sun went down, talking and laughing until it was time to leave.

Slowly, walking out of the park, up the hill, I stopped, touching your arm, and kissed you. Tentatively, soft and sudden. It surprised you and you said as much.

I told myself I wouldn't worry and I should act more when I think I should do something, I blurted unconvincingly.

'That's a good philosophy' you smiled.

I melted. Wanna go get another drink?

'Ok'

I think I started loving you right there, in the dark of that park on that night oh so many years ago.

No comments: