Tuesday, June 06, 2006

"A month of parks, puddles and pleasant sounds"

I just realized that summer has begun.

No, not the solstice or any calendar specific date, but my summer.

In the past 4 weeks, I have visited at least 5 parks at least twice each. For those keeping track they would be High Park, Christie Pits, Dufferin Grove Park, Dovercourt Park and Sunnyside. I guess my Bloor West leanings are really showing, so I'll move on. I have spent hours in them relaxing, talking, laughing and generally doing summer things.

I have spent at least 3 days walking in warm rain and not really caring.

I have been looking forward to thunder showers and sharing them.

I have driven with my windows down most days of the week, except for when I want conversation.

I have gone for midnight bike rides, not because I have had to get home, but because I wanted to.

I have had drinks on patios, in bare feet no less!

I have slept with my patio door open, and haven't been afraid of the raccoons.

Summer is here and with it comes smiles, laughter, friendship and incredibly good things that some of us may have forgotten about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love the summer for those same reasons. i spend the short months of summer alternating between the picnic tables in queen's park, the inner courtyard of university college, and by the docks at harbourfront (the only thing i like better than parks are boats) thrilling when the ships come in, and you can board them for free before they head out again. it doesn't matter what i'm doing, jogging, reading, listening to music. i just can't stay inside. even when i'm writing, i tend to do it outside, thanking both my laptop and broad-range wireless hubs. it's the best time to play and be happy - with all that sun and green around, how can you not be?