Tuesday, February 20, 2007

'The laziest man I ever met put popcorn in his pancakes so they would turn over by themselves'

Today is Shrove Tuesday, Mardi Gras or Pancake Day, depending on your faith and/or geography.

So, this evening, I will be cooking up some pancakes.

In Newfoundland, we have a tradition where we hide things in the pancakes, like pennies, rings, or other trade related items. What you find in your pancake supposedly divines your future. A penny means you will be rich, a thimble and you will be a tailor, a ring and you will marry, etc. It is a fun tradition, especially with kids.

So, pancakes are on the menu. Personally, I prefer savoury to sweet in the evening so I may make some potato/zucchini pancakes, but having some fruit and berries around for the sweeter variety will invariably happen, too.

My question for all of you that I haven't alienated and still read this thing is, what kind of pancake would make you most happy on Shrove Tuesday?

4 comments:

tangledupinblue said...

strawberries....

and maybe a toonie or something monetary just cause i'm superficial like that

Anonymous said...

chocolate chip banana, with maybe a coffee flavour drizzle.

Anonymous said...

I think that hiding bacon in pancakes would be a very very good thing. Potato pancakes with bacon and lots of cheese ... yes yes ... a very good thing. Yeah i guess you could add some zucchini ...

Miss Julia J said...

trinkets-wise: some baby related item would make me smile.

food-wise: Raspberries. Glorious raspberries.

What about you, P?