Thursday, December 08, 2005

(A)lone

I have been alone for a long time. This is not debatable. And I would be angry if anyone tried.

Honestly, I love women. I am more of a lecher than most of my friends, but strangely I have very picky tastes. Go figure.

Still, I am alone. And, to be honest, I think it suits me.

That was a very frightening thought. The first time I thought about it, I shed a tear, actually more than one. It was anathematic to what I grew up in. I got over it. Mostly.

I am not alone. I am just living my life without a partner.

I am 'going it alone'. Which is a great sentiment, except people confuse 'Alone' with lonelines. They are very different. Sometimes I am lonely. It sucks. It sucks hard. Sometimes. I scream and fit because I don't want to spend another second thinking lonely thoughts. To be honest, it is hellish.

But it is very different from being 'alone'. To be 'alone' is to be seperate., removed or independent. But the need is different.

Loneliness is a weakness. Being alone confortably is a strength.

Or so they say.

2 comments:

Miss Julia J said...

"Being alone comfortably is a strength."
It's also a skill. Knowing yourself well enough to recognize when you'll have low or lonely times and learning to fill them. (something about that sentence doesn’t work for me. Since I can’t figure out why, that’s what you get)

Anonymous said...

i don't think loneliness is a weakness. it's just something that happens. it happens to everyone - whether partnered or not. you can surrounded by people, friends even and feel lonely.